Search My Infinite Universe

March 28, 2008

Another day for the birds. It's warming up, and the bird activity is directly proportional to the rise in temp. I try to identify as many as I can from sounds, and I can't get them all but I can definitely tell when something new has moved into the neighborhood.
Young mister Cardinal is trying to finish off the red of his juvenile plumage by eating sumac buds. Hmmm, I'm not sure if that works or not...
All are chirping and this sparrow was no exception. Good thing because it was so buried in the dogwood I would have never found it otherwise.
A pensive junco. I seem to be having a hard time getting a stellar shot of the juncos, even tho there are plenty. They don't stay in one place for long.
Phenology is the study of the response of living organisms to seasonal and climatic changes to the environment in which they live. And here's the documentation. The RRBB's (Red-Winged Black Birds) are back along the creek! Our notorious "telephone bird" is a sure sign of spring. This guy looks like he suited up in his Darth Vader cloak for the show, with strapping blaze orange escutcheons.

No comments: