Search My Infinite Universe

March 1, 2008


There is a certain kind of ice that is called "chandelier" ice that forms during the melt around lakes and river banks, where it becomes little crystals of tinkly glass all washing back and forth with the tide. I don't really think the definition was meant to include these little baubles frozen onto sticks and roots, but if this isn't chandelier ice, I'm not sure what is.

I believe this is called "cheese pizza" ice.


This is an interesting piece of graffiti under the 10th Avenue bridge. There is a definite influence and likeness of "Chief Wahoo", the Cleveland Indians baseball team mascot of questionable morality and social correctness, with the cryptic and thought-provoking "1492" emblazoned over the left shoulder. I can't make out the symbolism or representation of the yellow figures, though they remind me vaguely of the Matchlight Man from "Matchlight" Charcoal Briquettes. Cryptic also is the signature in the lower right, one "Skooter Libby". Not sure if that belongs with this art or a previous layer. Either way, a nice piece.

2 comments:

buthidae said...

I heard on NPR the results of a survey that said 25% of US high school students could not answer whether Columbus sailed in 1492, or 1792. So I guess you can eliminate them as the artists.

mnainfochair@gmail.com said...

Heh, that reminds me of Dave Gurske in high school. The guy never answers a question in his life and then the teacher one day asked who Magellan was. "Gursk" raises his hand and says, "The first person to circumsize the globe with a 40 ft. clipper!"
Hilarity ensues.