Search My Infinite Universe

December 3rd, 2008 - Dusting off an old mystery, and then putting it back in Pandora's Box


In a post earlier today I had backlinked to a post about a shrike sighting at Springbrook Nature Center I wrote about back in February. Within that post was a picture and text that laid the groundwork for a mystery among the willows of Springbrook. 
I had conjectured that Nick the Naturalist had a lot to do with the strange cutting of some young willow switches, and I had it in my head to ask him if he was making arrows or cutting them for a stretching rack for skins or something, although they were definitely cut with a sharp knife or small axe and in a strange fashion. All things considered, all of that wouldn't be too much of a surprise coming from him.
I finally crossed-paths with him a few weeks ago, and just before he was going to walk away I remembered the picture from the blog and the question, so I dug it up and showed it to him.
His response: "Hunh? Wasn't me. Oh yeah... I've seen those cuttings too, and I'm not sure who's doing it. Or why. Every once in a while I see one in a different place around the property."
Hmmm. 
Crop circles, The Shroud of Turin, an effigy of Rosemary Clooney in fireplace ashes and now this.
I'm sure we'll be revisiting this particular mysterious circumstance the next time I can't think of anything to write, that's for sure. Hmmm. Bit of a gadfly, this.

No comments: