Search My Infinite Universe

April 8, 2008

A flash exposure from a long way away makes the Great Blue Heron look like he's wearing a polo shirt.
Hey, firecarckers don't grow on trees ya know. Good thing too. These are actually catkins (kind of seed cones) from our mini birch grove.

And from our, "What the hell is that, I hope that's not what I think it is" Department, this fungus (at least I think it's fungus) found growing on a ancient hollow stump is one of the weirder things I've seen around here.
If you poke it, you expect it to either grunt back or squish, and it does neither. It sort of thunks with a dully hollow sound. It's all morphed into one solid mass, even tho it looks like a few feet of small intestine. Very strange. I intend to keep an eye on it, and I've programmed the National Guard's number into speed dial just in case...

No comments: